- Introduction: Maintenance Culture
- What is Roadworthiness of a Vehicle?
- Common Types of Defectives in Vehicles
- Vehicle Inspection and Issuance of Roadworthiness Certificate.
- Lubricating /Engine Oil and Viscosity.
- Vehicle Maintenance
- Vehicle Driver, Owner and Auto-Technician.
- The Technician and Mechanic Concept.
- Maintenance Engineering
- Vehicle Maintenance
- Regular Task to take
- Services for Vehicle, Points to Note.
- Corrective Maintenance
- Tero Technology
- After Active Life Span
- Poor maintenance culture is a bad attitude portrayed by many drivers and vehicle owners which deteriorate the Roadworthiness of vehicles and which manifests gradually over time.
- The auto-technicians non regard to upgrade their professional practice over time is not keeping them abreast of the current development and advancement in Technology. However they are gradually phasing themselves out as Science and Technology is constantly experiencing new innovations and Mechatronic sophistication in the automobile industry.
- Some vehicle owners buy vehicles that their financial capabilities could not bear while others buy vehicles that are too recent and their spare parts are not yet available, such type of vehicles suffers downtime and could depreciate in value over a period of time.
- The duty of the Vehicle Inspection Officer among others is to ensure that rickety vehicles do not ply our road in order to prevent accident and to ensure safety of lives and properties.
Roadworthiness is a property or ability of a car, bus, truck or any kind of automobile to be in a suitable operating condition meeting acceptable standards for safe driving and transport of people, baggage or cargo in roads or streets.
Common Types of Defectives in Vehicles
- Rickety vehicles are seen on the roads on daily bases despite the rate of impounding them and penalizing motorist.
- Defectives on vehicles also creates ugly scenario
These defectives include:
- Damaged head light(s)
- Missing or bad wipper(s)
- Damaged indicator, reverse or and brake light(s)
- Bad tires
Defectives in Vehicles
- Damaged or cracked wind shield
- Missing wheel nuts or stud
- Bad hub(s)
- Missing fuel tank cover
- Broken or bent chassis
- Bad braking system
- Bad steering components
Rickety Vehicle: No Head Lights & Indicator Lights
Defectives and Overloading of vehicles
Overloading: Rickets Vehicle & could cause Accident
Excess Load projection by a Taxi Driver
Vehicle Inspection & Issuance of Roadworthiness Certificates
- Many motorists see the roadworthy certificate as one of the official documents you must have before you use the road. Of course, it is, but they are not seeing it from the good working condition aspect of the vehicle.
- That is why they wish to renew the certificate without producing the vehicle for inspection; but for whose benefit?
- A Certificate of Roadworthiness (also known as a roadworthy or RWC) shows that your vehicle is safe enough to be used on public roads.
- Vehicle inspection is carried out before issuance of Road W0rthiness Certificate. Modern state of the earth precision inspection equipments are used to carry out these test.
- The test helps to identify or reveals salient’s faults that are not observable but could cause accidents.
Types of inspection test conducted includes:
- Emission test
- Light beam intensity test
- Brake test
- Shock Absorber test
- Underneath Visual Inspection test
This taxi driver vehicle was inspected and the water found in the brake system was drained and replaced with brake fluid
Lubricating (Engine) Oil and Viscosity
- Automotive engine oil is a blend of refined petroleum and additives. Its main purpose is to reduce or prevent wear of moving components. Motor oil accomplishes this by providing a barrier between moving components. Motor oil is also used to cool certain engine internal components.
- Motor oil is rated by the Society of Automotive Engineering (SAE) by viscosity and service rating. Viscosity is the ability of oil to flow at a given temperature. The capacity of vehicle engine determines the type of viscose oil to use. The higher the engine capacity the more viscous the oil.
- Maintenance refers to those procedures that help to prevent damage to any component or the complete breakdown of the component.
- Maintenance are carried out either on a unit of a vehicle or on the whole vehicle to prevent problems from developing or to prevent damage to that unit or the entire vehicle. Examples of maintenance include the periodic change of the car engine oil from knock, checking and topping of brake fluid, etc.
- Repair is those procedures that are carried out on a unit of a car or on the entire car when they have problems and are not functioning properly. Repairs could range from replacement of certain components in the faulty part of the car to the outright replacement of the whole part. Automobile repair normally arises when maintenance is not carried out in time or not carried out at all. Automobile repair is usually more expensive and time consuming than maintenance.
Vehicle Driver, Owner & Auto-Technician
- Who is a driver?
- The driver of a vehicle is the person who is driving it.
- Driving is the controlled operation and movement of a vehicle, including cars, motorcycles, trucks, buses and bicycles. Permission to drive on public highways is granted based on a set of conditions being met and drivers are required to follow the established road and traffic laws in the location they are driving.
- A professional driver is someone who is paid to drive a vehicle.
- Who is a vehicle owner?
- A vehicle owner is the person who owns a vehicle
The Technician & Mechanic Concept
Automotive Mechanic or Automotive Technician are service professionals who repair, inspect, maintain commercial and privately owned vehicles. They also discuss mechanical issues with their customers to better inform them.
- The key difference between auto mechanics and auto-technicians is that mechanics repairs and maintain motors, machineries etc; they specializes in more hands-on work, like changing oil, brake pads, repair work on car engine Automotives technicians do this as well but they also deal more with electrical diagnosis and identification of drivability complaints.
They are trained or skilled in the technicalities of a subject. They specialize in technology.
- Technicians involves in reading scan tools and diagnosis issues. There are also auto technicians, marine, motorcycle and diesel technicians.
- Maintenance Engineering is the application of engineering knowledge, method and management skills to care for an engineering system. Examples of Engineering Systems are Generating plant e.g. Micano, Manufacturing Equipments in Industry, Air Crafts and Automobile engines or Cars (which is air point of discussion).
- The Automobile Vehicle is made up of a number of systems and mega components which includes:
- The vehicle engine, brake system, transmission system, suspension system, engine accessories, steering geometry, electrical system, vehicle body (Chassis), Internal Upholstery and vehicle tyres.
- The use of vehicle by an employed vehicle driver is to earn a living. An auto-technician who repair vehicles is also to earn a living (make profit through services rendered) while to a motorist (the owner) is for comfort and to make ease of daily activities.
- To make profit from an engineering system (eg automobile) has made the development in maintenance engineering rapid over the years.
- There is the call to reducing maintenance cost and automobile down time when a vehicle is well maintained and working regularly, more profit is made and the vehicle is expected to last long.
- Maintenance of a vehicle as recommended by the manufacturer is necessary to make the vehicle to have long life span by giving attention to all those things which help it to run smoothly, prevent its wearing-out and prevent its breakdown.
Importance of Vehicle Maintenance
Effective and proper vehicle maintenance will provide many benefits to the vehicle owner, some of which are;
- Saving fuel and money as mechanical systems of the vehicle affect fuel efficiency.
- Reducing long-term maintenance costs.
- Minimize harmful exhaust emissions and protect the environment.
- Increase reliability of your vehicle and limit the risk of vehicle breakdown.
- Increase second hand value
In order to keep your vehicle in good condition regular task to take
- Check water level in the radiator and refill if necessary
- Make sure there is no water leakage in the system
- Check the engine oil level
- Always check for oil leakage on engine and transmission system
- Ensure that all the lights are in good working condition
- Maintain optimum air pressure in your tires
- Check the electrolyte level of the battery
- Ensure that the cooling fan function properly
- Make sure your spare tire is in good condition
- Ensure routine servicing
- Lubricating oil
- Oil filter
- Air filter
- Oil seal are replaced in case of oil leakages.
It should be noted also that whenever a vehicle is due for service; a quality lubricating oil and quality of parts of replacement are essentials to improve the performance of the vehicle.
The following points should be noted for services of vehicle
- Quality of lubricating oil
- Quality of spare parts for replacement
- Leakages of oil
- Loose bolts and nuts
- Unnecessary vibration
- Vehicle front and back arm bushings ball joints and horns inspection were applicable
- Sound of the engine
- Loose cable terminal (Partial contact)
- Frequency of operation
What happens when a Vehicle is poorly Maintained
This type of maintenance is the repairs carried out during damages or faults on vehicle.
- Tero Technology is the maintenance of assets in optimal manner. It is the combination of management, financial, engineering, and other practices applied to physical assets such as automobiles ( eg vehicles), plants, machinery, equipment, buildings, and structures in pursuit of economic life cycle cost.
- A newly purchased vehicle is at its best performance as at that time. Good maintenance culture will determine how long the vehicle will serve the user. However, wear and tear and old age will start to tell.
- The vehicle may stand the test of time due to good maintenance culture, but might become obsolete or no longer in vogue. Its spare parts might no longer be available. Nothing last forever.
After Active Life Span
Until recently, Tero Technology has played a vital role in determining the best time to change a vehicle which includes:
- When the cost of repair is on the high side compared to the cost of replacement.
- When the vehicle is obsolete or no longer in vogue and the parts are not easily available.
- Cost of maintenance is becoming too high due to old age.
- When the vehicle is involved in a motor accident and the vehicle is unfit to serve its intended purpose e.g long journey or Government official use after repair.
- Proper care for our vehicles by drivers and vehicle owners will not only make our vehicles durable but it will also save cost because less money will be spent on maintenance than repair. Vehicle owners should also purchase vehicles that their financial capability can maintain; they should also consider availability of vehicle parts before purchasing such vehicles.
- Auto-Mechanics and Auto Technicians should build up themselves in their areas of specialization. It is high time for mechanics to upgrade themselves on how to use the Computer Diagnostic System; while the Auto Technicians should not limit themselves only to what they do as Science and Technology is advancing every day.
- The use of quality engine oil and passion for care of our vehicle will make the vehicles durable
- Auto Mechanics by Engr. A. A. Okesola (M.Sc) and Engr. E. N. Aba (M. Eng.)
- Dictionary-Complete and unabridged. (2003).
- Doug.C.(2004). On-Board Diagnosis II and light Duty Vehicle Emission Related inspection and \ Maintenance Programme.Canada: Carol Burelle.
- Drunkproofing automobile. Retrieved February 20, 2010, from http://www.querycat.com,2010.
- Encyclopedia Britannica, 2010.
- Frequently Asked Questions. Central Queen land University Library, (n.d.). Retrieved February
- 21,2010 from
I wish to appreciate you all for your audience.
(Paper Presented at Automobiles And Road Safety Initiative’s Road Safety Seminar & Usage of Genuine Engine Oil Advocacy for members of Nigeria Automobile Technicians Association, Kwara State Chapter on 8th June, 2021 in Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria by Engr. Babalola Moshood Mobolaji MNSE, MNIMechE, C. Reg.; Head of Administration Kwara State VIO)